- January 19, 2018
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Alexa Registration Error, Alexa Troubleshooting, Amazon Alexa Error
Getting Error on Alexa Screen “there was error registering your device error 10:2:12:3:1” while registering echo device.Then read this full post and find Troubleshooting guide to amazon echo registration error
In this Post, we are going to discuss possible causes and solution to most common Amazon Alexa/echo error 10:2:12:3:1. or Echo Dot Registration error 10:2:12:3:1
Note:- At the end of post you can see complete steps to register and de-register amazon echo devices
You will get this error on Amazon Alexa app while setting up or registering your amazon echo devices i.e. amazon echo, echo dot, echo show. Echo plus, echo connect, echo look or Alexa tap.
So if you are getting the same error 10:2:12:3:1 in any of echo device, you need not worry.
Just read this full guide and it will help you fix Amazon Echo registration error 10:2:12:3:1 if
- You are getting Amazon Alexa Error 10:2:12:3:1 while Registering & setting up the brand new device.
- Echo Registration Error: -Amazon Alexa or echo keeps saying registration error and disconnects from Wi-Fi
- You are getting error code 10:2:12:3:1 in Amazon Alexa App after factory reset the device
- You are having trouble setting up and registering echo device you got a gift
- Getting Amazon Echo registration error 10:2:5:60:1 in second hands or used amazon echo device.
- Alexa error code 7:1:10:12:2
Before resolving the error it’s very important to know what Alexa registration error 10:2:12:3:1 and why you get this error.
What is Amazon Alexa error Code 10:2:12:3:1 or Echo Registration Failure Error
Alexa Error code 10:2:12:3:1 is server end error code
Amazon Alexa code 10:2:12:3:1 means Alexa server has banned you to set up or register the echo device.
This can be Alexa or amazon echo Server error.
However, in most cases, this code triggers up after unusual activity from the end user.
Alexa code 10:2:12:3:1 is an auto-generated error code displayed during initial set up of the device.
You will get same error code while registering your device in Amazon server. Also sometime you will get this error after accidental rest of your device.
As we all know Alexa is cloud-based software required to control and use amazon echo devices.
Each Amazon echo device sold by Amazon has unique identification number listed on their server.
So while Setting/registering your echo device for 1st time or after resetting the device the 1st task of Alexa app is to register your device to server and cross-check the ownership of device
Alexa usually does it by matching your email id with UID number of echo device.
In simple your device must be registered to Amazon server through the email address you entered while purchased the device.
If Amazon Alexa server finds any problem with ownership of device or device hardware, it will return echo error code and interrupt the setup process.
List of Reasons That Can Trigger Up Amazon Echo/Alexa Error Code 10:2:12:3:1
Below is the list of reasons that can trigger up error 10:2:12:3:1 in Amazon Alexa App.
Amazon Alexa Error 10:2:12:3:1 Because Alexa Device is Reported, Stolen
Various users reported that “While setting up brand new amazon echo, they can connect to Wi-Fi initially but then Wi-Fi stopped with an error “there was an error registering your device error 10:2:12:3:1” and they can’t register the device.”-
User face amazon Alexa registration error 10:2:12:3:1( Echo registration error) because either their device is reported stolen, lost or they are trying to register a gifted device with wrong email id
In case if the device is reported undelivered to Amazon you can get same error
Echo Registration Error 10:2:12:3:1 because the device is reported undelivered
Means the Echo device you are trying to register is showing undelivered status, you can cross check order status on your Amazon account.
Alexa Registration Error because you are Trying to Register Gifted Device
You will face amazon Alexa error 10:2:12:3: 1, if the device you are trying to set up or register is a gifted device to your from your friends or relatives.
Important:- IF you are gifting someone amazon echo device. Don’t forget to tell Amazon that it is a gift, otherwise, it will be registered to your default account instead of your recipient’s. And they will face problem setting up and registering the device.While ordering you can see a small checkbox “this is a gift”, just make sure you check this box whiling gifting Amazon products
Amazon Echo Registration Error 10:2:12:3:1 as You haven’t Used The device For Year or More
If the echo device you are trying to register is not used even once from year or more you will get Registration Error 10:2:12:3:1 as during this time echo firmware and Alexa app have been upgraded many a time and there can be compatibility issues in Alexa app.
Bought Echo Device From eBay or best buy
Many users reported that they are getting Amazon Alexa error 10:2:12:3:1 while setting up and registering echo device. however, the device they are using is bought from eBay or any other site other than Amazon
So either the device they bought is not genuine or reported lost or stolen, in some case this error happens because the device is previously used ( with different email address).
Trying to register 2nd hand echo device
A number of users who are using 2nd hand echo device are getting Amazon Alexa Registration Error 10:2:12:3:1 and this happen because the 1st user of amazon echo purchased this device through different email address and the current user is trying to register with different email address.
Important:- while buying or taking used/2nd hand amazon echo device don’t forget to ask the owner to deregister the device from his Amazon account, else you can face Amazon Alexa Error 10:2:12:3: 1.Even if you bought Amazon echo device from eBay, best buy or any website other than Amazon make sure the device is not registered previously.
- If you are trying to setup the device in a non-supported country.
- In case your Wi-Fi is not the dual band you can get this error along with error 7:1:10:12:2.
- You are registering device with different email address
- You get a defective device
- This Amazon Echo Alexa guide will explain the solution to each of the above situation however before that, I would like to explain more about Alexa error Code 10:2:12:3:1 as per information collected from various forums and discussion threads.
Echo Error code 10:2:12:3:1 After Resting Device
Some user report they keep getting Amazon Alexa Error 10:2:12:3:1 in amazon echo and their device won’t let them do anything after they reset there echo device.:-
either they are using wrong email and password and choosing different language setting or their home network is not secured.
Some user get Amazon Alexa Error 10:2:12:3:1 Because of Defective Echo Device
Some users are getting Error 10:2:12:3:1 along with Error: 12:2:15:10:1
you will get this kind of registration errors combination if you get the defective device or if there is the problem with Amazon server. If the problem is with the server it gets solved in own after some time.However, if your device is defective there is nothing much you can do, you have to ask Amazon for replacement.
Wi-Fi Problem In Amazon Echo Error: 7:1:10:12:2
A lot of users getting Amazon Alexa Error 10:2:12:3:1 along with Error: 7:1:10:12:2 and this error is associated with Wi-Fi issue, either your Wi-Fi is not compatible with echo device or it is not having internet connectivity
Solution for Amazon Echo/Alexa Registration Error 10:2:12:3:1
Until now you are fully aware of Amazon Alexa error 10:2:12:3:1, this error can happen while setting up any of following devices
- Amazon Echo 1st and 2nd generation
- Amazon echo dot registration error
- Amazon echo plus Error 10:2:12:3:1
- Amazon echo show cant register
- Amazon echo look error code 10:2:12:3:1
- Amazon echo connect
- Amazon echo spot
- Amazon Alexa tap error code 10:2:12:3:1
So if you are getting this error with any of the following devices than our troubleshooting guide can help you fixing the error
This Troubleshooting guide gives an overview of some of most know cause of error 10:2:12:3:1 and provides tips on how to resolve this errors, different solution is there in each case.
Before troubleshooting Echo Registration error 10:2:12:3:1 do this
- Download the latest version of Amazon echo app:- you can download latest version of Amazon echo app, currently, Amazon Alexa app is available for
- Fire OS 3.0 or higher
- Android 5.0 or higher
- IOS and mac os 9.0 or higher
- Desktop attest Pentium p4 with 1 gb of ram
- Chrome browser latest version
So if you have any of these devices you can download Alexa app
- Make sure your device is an ideal distance from wireless router and modem place router/modem and echo device in same room not more than 8 feet away while setting up.
- Remove anything that can cause network congestion:- place your echo device at least inches above the floor and 8 inches away from walls.
- Remove any proxy network or VPN running in the background.
- Make sure your wireless network in dual-band having frequency range 2.5 to 5.0 GHz.
- Make sure firewall and any other security software are not blocking network.
- Rest amazon echo device in 1st generation echo device you can find rest hole at the bottom of the device however in 2nd generation device you can simply rest your device by.
Solution 1- Troubleshoot Echo Error 10:2:12:3:1 For Gifted Amazon Echo Devices
Amazon Revealed that amazon echo dot was the most gifted item its festival session.How many users getting trouble registering a gifted device / Amazon echo error 10:2:12:3:1
If the device you are trying to setup/register is a gift from your family or friends than you can encounter Amazon Echo Alexa registration error for 10:2:12:3:1. This error will happen if the sender forgot to the box “its a gift” in Amazon cart during placing order.
In such case just follow these tips and you can bypass echo error code 10:2:12:3:1 i.e. amazon echo Alexa registration error during setup
- Contact your friend relative or the one who gifted your device.
- Ask them to go there amazon account.
- Ask them to deregister the device.
- If they don’t know how to deregister amazon echo device from Amazon account read our complete echo deregistration guide at the end of the post.
- Once they successfully deregistered the device from there amazon echo account, rest the device
- to learn how to reset the device please visit.
- Now register your amazon echo device.
- To learn how to register your device please see the end of the post for complete steps to Register amazon echo device.
Important:- Once the device is registered you cant access any content and in order to access content and setup device you have to register the device with Amazon account if you don’t have an Amazon account you need to make one from Amazon website.
Why Gifted Amazon Echo Devices Get Registration Error
Whenever you buy an Amazon device, by default it is assigned/registered to your Amazon account
So if you are gifting it to someone, either they have to setup and register the device from same email you bought the device or if they are using different email id they will get Amazon Alexa Error 10:2:12:3:1
- If you are gifting Amazon devices don’t forget to tell Amazon that “its a gift”, you can simply do it by selection “It’s a gift” checkbox while placing an order.
- However, if you forget to select “it is a gift” and device is not yet delivered, you can update the ordered gift setting from your Amazon account>orders> Select Product> Product detail page> Check “its a gift”
- And in case if the device you ordered is already delivered and you forget to select “It is a gift” box, do deregister the echo device from your Amazon account.
Solution 2- Troubleshoot Echo Dot Registration Error For 2nd Hand & Used Echo Devices
Getting Amazon Alexa Error 10:2:12:3:1 while registering a 2nd hand, used amazon echo device / getting error registering and setting up device bought from eBay, best buy or any other 3rd part websites other than Amazon
If you are getting trouble registering used amazon echo device or the device you are trying to setup is bought from 3rd part websites other than Amazon then there is nothing much you can do, below are some tips to solve the situation
- Try to contact the person from whom you bought the device and ask him to provide you email/pwd address he used to register the echo device. Or simply ask him to deregister the device from his/her Amazon account. If they did deregister the device follow point 5 onward. if not proceed to step 2
- Enter the information provided and again request the same person to provide you with the verification code
- Once you have verification code do enter complete the registration process and set up your device
- Now you can ask the same guy to deregister the device from his Amazon account if you want to learn if how to deregister a device simple go end of the post.
- Once deregistered simply rest your amazon echo and set up again as a fresh device. Just use your own amazon account to login to amazon alexa app.
- Learn if how to setup Amazon echo.
If still cant fix the issue its right time to contact Amazon echo support team, in many cases they can successfully resolve the issue by unlocking the device. Or call on toll-free number 1-888-299-7571.
Need just remote acces to deregister and register the dviece and you can use the devu
Possible cause of Amazon Alexa Error 10:2:12:3:1 in Previously Owned Amazon Echo Devices
Everything comes with good and bad, Amazon for security purpose used this feature that you have to use the same email address to register the device as you used to purchase the device.
Because in case your device is stolen or lost no one other can use your device and even you can report Amazon that your device is stolen and they will lock your device.
And if in case wrong email and pais used is used to register the device multiple times they do lock the device in short no one else can use your device without your permission or until you had deregistered the device from your amazon account.
- If you want to give your device to some one else or want to sell the device you previously owned, do deregister the device 1st and than factory rest the echo device to default setting so that no one can access your data and accounts.
- If you want to buy a previously owned amazon echo device or one of your friend or relative is give you previously owned echo device ask them to deregsiter the device so that you can register the device from your own account.
Solution 3-In case you haven’t used the device from more than one year
Amazon Alexa Error 10:2:12:3:1 If you have not used the device for 1st time from more than one year
If you are trying to register and setup an amazon echo device after long time let’s say one year after purchasing than error 10:2:12:3:1 is pretty common. In that case just follow these simple tips
- Download latest version of amazon Alexa app
- In Alexa app open navigation menu and then click on “ help and feedback”
- Under user guide select your device and scroll down to the bottom
- Click on Alexa device software update
Alternatively you can push echo device to download mode by leaving your echo in mute mode for half an hour.
- Once your device is updated you can easily set it up.
Why 2nd And Previously Owned Echo Device get Amazon Alexa Error 10:2:12:3:1
of this situation is that during the time when your device is inactive , it got number of firmware updates and Alexa app is also been updated during that time so , if you try to register a old device with latest Alexa app, chances are high that Alexa will not recognize your device
Solution 4:- If your Echo Device is Brand New and getting Error 10:2:12:3:1
IF you have brand new echo device (Device must be purchased by you only)
Note: – The device must be brand new, purchased from amazon echo official website and it must not be a gift from any of friend or relatives
If you had purchased an echo device and during setup you are getting errors 10:2:12:3:1 than follow the steps below
Things to keep in Mind Before Troubleshooting
- Make sure you are using same email while registering your device as you had used while purchased the device from amazon website
- Try basic troubleshooting like resting device , restarting modem and fresh installing Alexa app as in some case it work
- Try to register after some time as in some times its amazon server are down and you will get this error by mistake
- Check the network logs from your desktop or laptop just go in advanced setting < logs and search for error [DoS attack] it will look like thi s[DoS attack] Port Scan PROTO:UDP SPT:50395 DPT:123
- Once if you find this device you can proceed for next step i.e open browser and type in http://192.168.0.1/
- Than in advanced tab there click on setup under setup click on Wan Setup in left hand side
- Enable the Checkbox for, “Disable Port Scan and DoS Protection”, and then click “Apply”.
- Than just restart router/ modem and setup your device you won’t see any error during registration
- If that won’t work for you or you are can’t see DoS attack error log, contact Amazon Device Support Team
- return your device as amazon server thinks that you have a stolen or lost device in your hand and they already blocked this device
Possible cause of error in this case:
Either amazon thinks you had a stolen or lost device you are trying to register, or either the device is still showing undelivered status in their records or you get a defective device. This is a amazon mistake and a simple call to amazon echo support can fix the issue
Solution 5- Error 10:2:12:3:1 in amazon echo, after you reset your echo device
If you just reset or device and deregistered you echo device from Alexa app and getting error 10:2:12:3:1 during set up than you can follow the these steps
- You make sure that email and password you are using during setup are correct
- You must use same email and password you had used to setup you device 1st time
- Also make sure the email address is same as one you used to purchase the device
- If you have a router that has settings for a Guest Wi-Fi network, turn it on, connect and register
- Use static IP address settings
- Check if firmware update is available for you device , if yes than do download and install the firmware
- Make sure your network is of type WPA2 if it’s mixed mode wpa/wpa2 it will give error
- Also make sure email client is not filtering emails from amazon to junk folder
- Now try to set up your device , login to alexa app.
- Check your email inbox and if you found any code please enter to complete the setup
- Login to Wi-Fi account through guest account once you are success in registering you can change the account,
- Follow the normal setup procedure
In case you still are not able to setup and register your device than contact amazon Alexa support team for instant resolution or call 1-888-299-7571
Why Error 10:2:12:3:1 Occur After you rest your echo device
The answer is
- Wrong wrong email id and password,
- Two way authentications is active in your email account
- Or unsecured network.
Hope the guide above helped you to resolve amazon echo error 10:2:12:3:1. However if still can’t fix your device registration problem or you can’t perform the above steps contact amazon Echo Alexa support Team to get instant fix to error 10:2:12:3:1
How to Deregister Amazon Echo Device
You can deregister amazon eco from amazon account as well as from Alexa app, below are the steps
Deregistering From Amazon Account
- Login to your amazon account( the amazon account you are logging in must be same from where you have gifted the amazon echo device )
- Once you are logged in you can see “your account” in right top corner
- Click on your account and a pop up will appear having a list of option, From this list of option select “Manage Your Content and Devices”
- This will lead you to a different page , from currents screen click on “ Your Devices” Tab
- Now you can see list of all the devices that are associated with your current amazon account. Now select the device you gift and want to deregister in our case its echo device
- In the same screen a section below you can see an option “device action”, click on that.
- From drop down menu select “Deregister”
- Follow on screen instructions and your device is deregistered now
Deregistering From Amazon Alexa App
- Open amazon echo app
- Open the navigation bar Menu
- Select Setting From navigation menu, Now you can see list of device already registered with your Alexa account
- Click on device you want to deregister
- Scroll down to bottom you will see “deregister” button
- Click on that and you are done
How to Register/setup Amazon Echo Device
You can register amazon echo device from amazon account as well as from Alexa app below are steps to register the device. You can perform these steps
- if you are setting up and registering your device for 1st time
- You are registering a gifted device after de-registering it from other user account.
- If you are setting up your device after factory resetting it
Just follow the steps given below.
Make sure the below things
- The email address and password you are entering to register the device must be same as you use to sign in to amazon account
- Your email client must not filter amazon email to junk or spam folder, to resolve this add amazon to your trusted contacts
Steps to register the device
- Download latest version of amazon Alexa app
- Login to Alexa app with amazon account details, If you don’t have amazon echo account you can make one by visiting amazon official website
- Connect your device i.e. mobile, laptop or MacBook to wireless network , your wireless network must be dual band having frequency ranging from 2.5 to 5.0 GHZ
- Once you are logged in to amazon Alexa app, Connect echo to power point and start the device.
- Now from Alexa app you will see an option to setup you device , if you can see than open the navigation menu of Alexa app and in setting you will see setup new device
- Now select the device you want to setup i.e. amazon echo, echo dot, echo show etc.
- Connect amazon echo to Wi-Fi, it is an automated process as when u see the orange light changing means your echo is connected to Wi-Fi, however you can manually connect amazon echo to Wi-Fi from you Alexa app settings.
- Now follow on screen instruction to complete the registration process.
- Perform same steps if you are registering and setting up amazon echo from desktop, laptop or mac.
- Just download the relevant Alexa app for desktop, or MacBook from here
- Error 10:2:12:3:1 in amazon echo or Alexa device is a server level error code
- This error code indicates that you are not the owner of device you are using
- Error 10:2:12:3:1 indicates that the device you are using is reported lost or stolen.
- You can solve this error in only few cases however in most of cases you have to contact amazon support team to fix the error
- While gifting a amazon smart home device to your friends or relatives , you must tell amazon that it’s a gift and you can simply do it by checking the “ IT Is a gift box”
- While buying used amazon echo device don’t forget to ask owner to deregister the device
- You can’t setup amazon echo device in a country its not launched yet
In case you are facing any of the give error
Contact Amazon echo support to fix the error at earliest even you can reach through toll free number i.e.